Tel: + 359 885 16 08 64
Sylvia Steeva practices in the fields of litigation and arbitration, complex commercial and corporate transactions, and European Union Law.
As a counsel in arbitration proceedings, she represents states and private clients in domestic and international arbitration proceedings and has experience with arbitrations conducted under the arbitration rules of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), and the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI).
Significant successful representations include:
- Plama Consortium Limited v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/03/24);
- Novera AD et al. v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/12/16);
- EVN AG v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/13/17);
- ST-AD GmbH v. Bulgaria (PCA case no.2011-06);
- ENERGO-PRO a.s. v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/15/19);
- State General Reserve Fund of the Sultanate of Oman v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/15/43);
- ČEZ, a.s. v Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/16/24);
- ACF Renewable Energy Limited v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/18/1);
- Moti Ramot and Rami Levy v. Bulgaria (ICSID case no. ARB/18/47);
- representation of a state in an investment dispute under the UNCITRAL rules related to an airport;
- representation in an ICC commercial arbitration related to an additional success payment under a share sell and purchase agreement;
- representation in an ICC arbitration involving a dispute regarding an alleged breach of contracts for sale of industry equipment;
- representation of a company in a commercial arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules related to a power purchase agreement.
In addition to her work in dispute resolution, Sylvia Steeva has acted as counsel for clients in high value international transactions. Her experience in this field includes advising Bulgaria in regard to two sovereign bond issues and an international petrol pipeline project.
Sylvia Steeva has been recognized by international guides to the profession such as Legal 500 and GAR 100.
Legal 500 describes Sylvia Steeva:
- in 2016 as ‘thorough and detail oriented’;
- in 2020 as “a name to note”;
- in 2021 as “a key member of the team” providing “valuable support”;
- in 2022 as “knowledgeable” and “attentive to details”.
In 2022, GAR 100 described Ms. Steeva as “an excellent lawyer possessing knowledge, perfectionism and commitment”.
She graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University Paisius of Hilendar, Plovdiv, with a diploma in law with distinction. She also received a LL.M. degree in International Business Law from the Legal Studies Department of the Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, and a diploma in English law and Law of the European Union from the Board of Continuing Education of Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
Sylvia Steeva is admitted to the Bulgarian Bar Association.
Sylvia Steeva speaks Bulgarian (native), English (fluent), and French (fluent).